Monday, August 8, 2011

My Old Friend's Wedding

(And let me preface this with this: When I say "old," I mean I've known my friend a long time, I don't mean that SHE is old!)

I recently went to an old friend's wedding. She and I met "back in the day" when we were both lowly admin assistants fresh out of college (well, she was out of college, I was on a "break" from college). So we've known each other since 1995? 1996?

Anyways, it was "out of town" - which meant 2 hours away from home. The wedding didn't start until 6 p.m., so overnight accommodations were needed.

Unfortunately, we didn't have a sitter, so I was going to the wedding solo, unlike the two other girls from this old workplace gang; they were bringing husbands, so I was going to be the 5th wheel. Chris was going to have to stay home with the boys.

BUT

being mostly ALONE for almost 24 hours was thrilling. I had a two hour car ride down, which I found heavenly. No one was screaming in the back seat about how he dropped his small baggie of goldfish crackers on the floor of the car - not once did I have to pull over to get said crackers. I put in an audio tape of a deliciously cheesy book and listened in bliss as the Amish countryside rolled by.

I got to the hotel and went to the POOL TO READ A BOOK for an hour before getting ready for the wedding. I took a shower without small children peeking in while I was shaving my legs to ask me what I was doing. I did my hair and make-up without a little boy asking for me to also apply eye shadow to his eyes and cheeks.

BLISS.

And the wedding was a blast. My friend is a bit hipper than I am (at the moment. I blame parenthood for taking my hipness away. But who has the time or energy to even know what IS hip when you're wiping asses, making lunches and doing laundry all day!)

The wedding was in a dinosaur museum, so there were all sorts of dino skeletons hanging from the ceiling. My friends made sure I didn't feel like a total heel for being the wheel of the group, and I took lots of photos to post on FaceBook later for the bride to tag herself in.



I wish the bed in the hotel was more comfortable; I didn't sleep well, which feels like such a shame when you can sleep through the whole night without little ones needing something at 2 a.m. (last night was Monster dreams from the 3 year old!)

And the ride back again was also a dream. I skipped the Amish country route on the way home, and took the awesome scenic lake route instead. I had a strong urge to stop at the outlet mall on the way home and just wander stores and try things on - just for fun - but the pull on home was calling me back.

And who doesn't want to walk in the door to hear screams of "MAMA!" as they all run and plow into my abdomen?



Sidenote: Sebastian's main concern with me being gone for a night was with what Dada was going to feed him while I was gone. He said, "You'll come back tomorrow, right? And what if Dada feeds us TUNE FISH?" This coming from a boy who has never even tasted tuna fish....

No comments:

Post a Comment