Thursday, August 11, 2011

Genuis or good rememberer?

OK. Now, I happen to think my three-year-old is a genius, but he also has Autism, so knowing whether he is a genius or just autistically quirky can be tricky.

Not many three-year-olds I know can read, but Em has about 20 sight words down. The other day, he was playing with my other son's cootie catcher. (I didn't know this paper contraption was called a cootie catcher until our speech therapist mentioned it.) See photo below:



Em was upset that he didn't get a turn, so I took the catcher and gave him a turn.

"Pick a color," I said.

"Yellow," Em said and pointed to the word yellow. (Our cootie catcher does not have the colored dots on the triangles like in the photo above, it just has the words written on them.)

Huh. Interesting.

We played out the game, and then I turned on the video camera:




So he knows how to spell his colors.

And yet when asked to read the words out of context of the cootie catcher, he didn't know them. But asked again on the C.C., and he read them.

Genius or good rememberer?

No comments:

Post a Comment