Sunday, February 6, 2011

Date Night with someone other than my husband!

My husband and I get two date nights a month. We've started a new date night once a week - with the boys. Since we have three boys, they don't get a lot of one-on-one time with us, so each week, a boy will get to choose a parent for his "date" and the activity he'd like to do with us. This way, each boy gets a turn at special time with Mama or Da.

It was our first time trying this tonight and Sebastian got to go first. He got a Date Night with Mama! I offered up a few choices for activities: Color Me Mine pottery place, ice skating at the local rink, or bowling. He chose bowling - and actually it was a perfect night to try this out, because the bowling alley was empty with everyone home for the SuperBowl. we had the place to ourselves and didn't have to wait in line or deal with throngs of people.

We got a bumper lane and the ball ramp. Sebastian, being only 4 years old, can't put his fingers in the holes quite yet, so he lifts the ball with two hands onto the ramp and gives it a push. Neither of us broke 100; I haven't bowled in YEARS. But we took turns, watched the scores on the screen, and had some laughs.

We only played one game; Sebastian was done after that. "My arms are tired, Mama..." I then gave him free choice on where to go for dinner. I offered up a Mexican restaurant because Sebastian loves tacos and I was hoping he wanted to try something new.

Sigh, but no. He thought the bowling alley was the coolest place EVER, and wanted to eat there. Burgers, fries and a slushie it is then. Was it our healthiest choice ever? No. Was there fruit or veggies involved? No.

But as he smiled at me with a blue mouth from the slushie, I knew he had a great time out on his first date with Mama.

No comments:

Post a Comment