Sunday, May 6, 2012

Our First Science Fair

Yesterday we took the boys to Imagine RIT (Rochester Institute of Technology). Chris was worried that it would be completely over their heads, but I have friends on FaceBook who have kids the same age, and they rave about it. So we gave it a try, and I am SO pleased with how the boys did at the event.

Highlights include:
- Tristan (age 7), at the Death of a Giant Star exhibit, chats up an Astonomy student about the Jupiter moon called Io. He knew that it was a warm environment, and that its the only Moon in the solar system that has active volcanoes on it.
- Sebastian LOVED the Robotic Lego display. He was like "I can play with Legos when I'm in college too??"
- Emerson loved the Ice Cream station, made with liquid nitrogen.
- Tristan also love the Animal Exhibit. He held a gecko and petted a hedgehog.
- Tristan and Sebastian also loved the Kinect Musical Program -- the kids moved their arms to make musical compositions.

I always worry about Tristan and his ability to make friends. With Autism, it can be so difficult for kids to find a group that is accepting of the social quirks and differences.

With squinty eyes, I can almost see a college life. Being in the campus over the weekend, I remember how much different college was from high school. High school was such a pressure cooker of peer pressure and cliques. College -- you could find "your people," your group of friends that we just like you, who felt passionate about the same things you did. I can see Tristan finding his niche at college, finding his group of friends that will last a lifetime.

Now we've just got to get him there -- another 10 years to go.

And yet, I don't want him to grow up either. Stay my little boy forever, so I can protect you and keep you safe. I love you, my brave Tristan.



No comments:

Post a Comment