Sunday, February 19, 2012

It's All About the Money, Honey...

So our town is going through a financial crisis and there are major budget cuts being made in the schools. Gone is the Music program for elementary schools, gone is the Gifted and Talented programs, gone is some of the advance placement programs, gone are at least 37 teachers, gone are a serious list of electives, and gone are some of the programs for kids with Autism and Special Needs.

Sigh.

Ok. Here it is: I feel like our community is setting up our kids to be Medium. You can't reach for greatness, because we don't offer that. But don't have learning needs either, because we don't offer that either.

I'm in a unique position to see more than one side of the issue here.

I have one son with Autism, and his needs are significant. Currently, he's in an integrated classroom with a General Ed teacher and a Special Ed teacher, co-teaching for many hours of the day. He also shares an Aide with another student, for support, redirection, help with transitions, and with focus on his lessons. He's "on grade level" for most areas of study, but below with Math.

This plan has worked, for the most part, for this past year. We've had problems with focus and attention, with some socialization issues on the playground during recess, and with keeping him motivated to complete his class work and home work. I was hoping that, because its been working, we would say something like "Let's stay the course" at his next Annual Review.

BUT, then the budget crisis happened.

Last week, I found out that the Integrated Class program has been suspended. It's no longer available.

Now, it has always been my hope that my son would be mainstreamed into a General Ed class at some point, but no way did I think it would happen by the 3rd grade.

HE'S NOT READY. But because of budget cuts, he's "ready" whether we like it or not.

So into the General Ed class we go next year. AND it's a new school for him. AND we've heard that 3rd grade is fairly challenging, academically. AND I'm unsure if we will be able to keep his Aide for next year - his teachers have been trying to prep us for the fact that he may lose her at some point.

So 3rd Grade for a student with Autism - with no supports.

That doesn't sounds great. At all.

Now - on the other end of the "spectrum," so to speak, I have a 5-year old typical son in Kindergarten and a 4-year old son with Childhood Speech Apraxia, going to Kindergarten in two years.. Both show signs of being above-average in reading and the 5-year shows the signs for Math as well. (The 4-year old is already reading most of the things that the 5-year old brings home from school!)

I would like to see both boys challenged in these academic areas at school, but with the budget cuts taking out the Gifted and Talented programs, it won't be possible. They can only rise to grade level and not advance any further. This, again, I think is a huge mistake.

I will make no claims as to understand budgets or money or the legality of the issues that the Board of Education is facing in our school district. (I personally think I have dyscalcula, a math-form of dyslexia) I'm sure there are issues I'm not factoring in here.

BUT

I can say that these cuts are AT LEAST restricting students, and AT THE MOST setting students up for failure by not supporting them in the way they need to be supported.

How is this acceptable?

No comments:

Post a Comment